Photo by Artur Aleksanian on Unsplash
Your lawn or garden furnishings can easily add a unique charm to your outdoor space. They make your outdoor spaces look trendy. Additionally, they help you create comfier space where you can accommodate guests or spend your leisure time. If maintained properly, your outdoor tables, chairs and other types of furnishings can last for years. Otherwise, they will break or crack because of the intense weather conditions they’re exposed to.
If you want to make more out of your investment, you need to clean, maintain and repair your outdoor furniture as often as you can. Moreover, you need to be familiar with the proper cleaning, maintenance, and repair techniques used for every type of outdoor furniture.
To help you, we gathered a few tips you can use to take care of your wooden, metallic, plastic and wicker outdoor furniture below.
Photo by Tanny Do on Unsplash
Find out what type of cleaners to use
As mentioned earlier, outdoor furniture can either be made of wood, metal, plastic or rattan. As such, before you attempt to scrub your favorite lawn furnishings, you need to know what type of solution you should use to clean it. This step is crucial because if you choose the wrong cleaning agent, you might end up damaging or scratching your favorite lawn chairs and tables.
Photo by Mitchell Griest on Unsplash
Look at each furniture that you have. Identify if it’s made of plastic. Are there any metal parts like frames, bolts, and screws? Is it made from rattan? Is it a resinous type of furniture? Group like items so you can use the appropriate cleaners for each of them.
Here are some of the most common cleaning solutions used in many households:
- Vinegar – Vinegar is a very common cooking ingredient. You can buy it from any grocery store. When you shop around, you need to specifically look for white vinegar. To make a vinegar solution, you need to mix an equal ratio of vinegar and water. You can use this cleaning solution to remove mildew and mold from the surface of your teak or wood furniture. If the stain is deep-seated, you need to use pure vinegar instead. Simply spray the vinegar on the surface and wipe it off with a washcloth.
- Bleach – Bleach is a very popular cleaner. It’s mostly used in removing stains on fabric but it can also be used to clean plastic-mesh furniture. To create a bleach solution, you need to mix two heaps of detergent powder, a gallon of water and a half a cup of bleach. Mix the solution well before you use it to wash your grimy outdoor furniture. You can use a sponge or an old toothbrush to apply the bleach solution.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is an effective cleaning agent because it’s non-toxic and it helps dissolve grease and dirt. You can use it to clean your leather chairs and resinous tables. Home furniture experts discourage using powerful commercial cleaning solutions on resinous furniture because they tend to be highly abrasive. If you want to maintain the condition of your resin chairs, tables, and decors, it’s better to use a baking soda solution to clean them. To make a baking soda cleaning paste, you need to combine a cup of salt, vinegar, and baking soda.
- WD- 40 – WD-40 is mostly used to remove rust. It is also used as a lubricant. If you have plastic chairs and tables in your garden and you noticed that their color has already faded, you can apply a coating of WD-40 on their surface. This cleaning solution can instantly bring back the color and shine of your furniture.
Use the proper cleaning and repair technique
Photo by Lindsey LaMont on Unsplash
It is equally important for you to know which type of cleaning or repair technique can be used for your lawn chairs and other furniture. You can learn more about the specific techniques used for each kind of furniture below.
- Plastic furnishings – Many homeowners opt to use plastic lawn chairs and tables in their outdoor spaces because this type of furnishing requires little maintenance. Also, it’s not as expensive as compared to the other types of furnishings. However, plastic chairs and tables tend to crack most especially if they are exposed to extreme temperatures.
If you want to keep your plastic furniture in good condition, you must put them in a cool and shaded area. Also, you need to clean them as soon as you spot any stain or discoloration. You can use a vinegar solution to scrub off dirt and grime and WD-40 to bring back the old shine of the material.
- Teak furniture – Teak chairs and tables are highly valued by homeowners because of their heavy-duty build. However, they are highly prone to mildew overgrowth and discoloration. To ensure that your teak furnishing stays as flawless as possible, you need to clean it with vinegar solution from time to time. Make sure to wipe the furniture dry to prevent moisture buildup on the material. Also, you need to use a soft-bristled brush in cleaning your teak furniture to avoid scratching the surface. If the material has already weathered, use sandpaper to bring out the original golden color of the wood. If you spot any cracks, apply wood fillers using a putty knife. Then, sand the surface for an even finish.
- Rattan furniture – Rattan furniture are also common in outdoor spaces because they make space look bigger. This is because of the chic and luxurious feel of the woven material. To ensure that your rattan furniture lasts long you also need to clean it regularly. It can be a bit harder to clean the crevices with a washcloth, you need to use a vacuum cleaner. You can also try to use a low-pressure water hose to remove the dirt and bugs.
- Cast iron furniture – This type of furniture is also quite a popular choice for outdoor living spaces because they are sturdy and durable. However, if you fail to maintain them properly, they will rust and deteriorate quickly. To keep your cast iron furnishings in perfect condition, you need to clean and maintain them regularly. You can use a bleach solution to prevent rusting. Use a sponge to clean each iron table and chair that you have. After coating the furniture with the solution, you should wash it with cold water then dried with a clean cloth.
Photo by Maria Butyrina on Unsplash
Simply follow the tips provided above and you can ensure that your furnishings last for many years. Again, do take note of the material used in each furniture you have in your lawn or garden. It is a key step that you should do to determine the cleaning agents and processes you need to use.